Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Oxy 5,10,15

Along side with Clearasil, Oxy was one of the best friends of a pubesence teenager, especially when there was an outbreak of acne. The thing with Oxy and any other anti-pimple cream in that barbaric age was that it actually did more harm than help. It was bad enough that you had this itchy zit on your face, and that it was big, bulging and just waiting to burst to reveal its gooy content, it was another to apply the cream to assist the eruption of the pimple! It does that by eroding the skin around the pimple, killing it so that it starts to flake and then "eruption" haha. Good ole days huh.

Anyhow, why was I talking about Oxy in the first place? Well, its kinda far-fetched but was thinking of oxymora (the plural of oxymoron, see below) actually. What is an oxy-what? Well here goes...

ox·y·mo·ron Pronunciation Key (ks-môrn, -mr-)
n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr, -mr) or ox·y·mo·rons

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

[Greek oxumron, from neuter of oxumros, pointedly foolish : oxus, sharp; see oxygen + mros, foolish, dull.]oxy·mo·ronic (-m-rnk) adj.
oxy·mo·roni·cal·ly adv.


Oooo big word huh. The first time I heard of this word was when Ms Fernandaz spewed this word in Literature class when we were learning about Romeo and how moronic, I mean romantic he was, trying to impress Juliet with his repertoire of contradictary terms. Hard to believe I took literature in school? Trust me, I hated it and till this day, I still remembered how Ms Fernandaz taunted me saying I would fail! Boy did I show her, the moment of trimuph was when I waved my O level results in her face! Ha!

Anyway, back to oxymorons, you should try it some time. I'll give you a headstart...

Beautiful diasaster, Vertical Horizon. ENJOY!

No comments: