Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Best Mixtape

Today's traffic on the road was surprisingly light, could drive on the ECP from Bedok to the Meyer Road exit without having to stop. The weather was cooling after a whole night's worth of rain, the roads wet. I decided that this would be the ideal situation to drive with your windows down. Actually, not really... You see, after the rain, your windows tend to get wet and if you wind them down, they will have these ugly streak marks when you wind them up later...but what the heck...the weather was too good to pass.

The radio was blaring in the background, that's how I like my music. This brought me back to when I was 14, I had just gotten a new radio... a Samsung I must add, and one of my top expenses then was to get tapes. Tapes that I could record the nice songs I heard over the radio. That's how I started my music compilation. Sometimes if the songs were really good, I'll copy the same song in succession of one another. Forgive me, technology was not so advance then that we could set our players to repeat mode, we had to make do with what we had. All we had then was high speed dubbing... the effect that makes any singer (including yourself if you wanted) sound like Alvin. You know Alvin? The Chipmunk.

Think it was the mission of most kids I knew then to come up with the best mixtape, a compilation of the best, most outrageous songs that would get us going. Till this day, that is still one of my pursuits in life. Its interesting how many genres of music there are out there, from the mainstream pop, rock to jazz, the blues and now, alternative, punk rock, alternative rock... No wonder we get lost in a music store. Finding a life partner is like that isn't it? Finding that best mixtape of qualities that bring out the best qualities in ourself... I'll never stop looking for that best mixtape. Just make sure you don't get lost in your music store... your world.

You gave me the best mixtape I have
And even all the bad songs ain't so bad
I just wish there was so much more than that
About me and you
(Butch Walker)

No comments: