Monday, October 24, 2005

Gracious Sillyporeans

The usual - got into the lift, going down. Lifts stops on the 5th floor. A domestic helper enters the lift lugging 2 big pails. She's probably going down to wash her employer's car. I reach my car and enter it, crank the ignition and drive off. The radio is on and tuned to Class 95 (my usual station, think it kinda reflects my era). In the background, I hear some report of how kind Singaporeans are in donating a lot of money to a local charity. The fund-raiser was an apparent succsess.

As we can all remember the recent debacale that was going on with NKF, with the foundation being accused of mis-managing its funds blah blah blah, Singaporeans are still being gracious in giving money to the needy. The radio ad went on further to praise Singaporeans for their generosity etc.

Images wheeling back in time in my mind. Its a Sunday, I'm in church walking to the coffeeshop for my usual morning breakfast. Its raining and the sky was fast becoming dark, I hurrry along. Along my way, I see a car parked at a public parking lot. There is a domestic helper (I think its rude to call them maids) washing her employer's car in the rain. And you know what? The cheapo employer, has a landed property. Instead of parking on his/her own property, parks and hogs a public lot just outside their house. My mind reels back to this morning, seeing a domestic helper going down to clean the car....Bet the employer never washed their car early in the morning and they see fit to see soemone who is in their employ to do what they will never do. Power of the dollar.

Gracious? Charity begins at home. No wonder we are called Sillyporeans.

No comments: