Monday, October 10, 2005

The eye of the storm

They say that the place that is the calmest is in the center of a storm. The winds around you churn as a tornado/hurricane/twister unleashes their destructive powers. There was a show called "Twister" which featured a group of storm chasers, running after twisters hoping to be able to study them, to analayze them, to figure out how mother nature works. It was an exhilarating movie, plenty of action. At one point of time, wanted to be a storm chaser cause it looked so cool!

On Friday, as I was making my way home on the ECP, it was the usual crowd. Many cars rushing home for the weekend. I had passed the Benjamin Shear's bridge and wanted to exit at Fort road. I was on the 1st lane and started to filter to the side, the exit was 3 lanes away. When I reached the 2nd lane, I heard a loud crack. I was stunned for a moment. Many seconds later, I realised I could not engage any gears. My gear shifter broke...

As I could not engage my gears, my car was stuck in dead waters, I slowed it to a stop, turned my hazzard light on and pulled my hand brake. Sigh. As I tried to call for towing service, the many cars rushing to go home began to divert, zipping and filtering. It felt as if I was in the eye of a storm. As I looked forward, I see clear roads, but at the sides, the churning of power... cars zipping by dangerously, impatiently, in their hearts probably cursing the breakdown car for blocking their path. I sat patiently in the car, awaiting my rescuers, trying not to get swept away...

2 comments:

Ben Kenobi Lim said...

Hmmmm .... poor man. Am sure things got solved in time. Maybe consider a japanese car some time?

coke said...

NEVER! Haha, conti cars are an addition already lah. Yah but it was resolved the next day, the damage, $220.