Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Father's love

I had an epiphany (for those who do not know what it means, read about it here). I grew up in a household that tolerated no nonsense and believed very much that children should be seen and not heard. Through the years, I've grew accustomed to that kind of dicipline. I must confess that there are many times, when there are children about, they tend to be noisy and all over the place. A different upbringing I conclude.

While I understand the difference, sometimes it irritates me and I do wonder why parents allow their children to behave the way they do. As parents, I suspect that we all tell ourselves that we want to bring up our children in a certian prescribed way (something that we have formulated at the back of our minds). I find my self in a position when I see my friend's children behaving in a certain way and I tell myself that I would not allow my child to behave like that. However, its easy to see a nice pair of shoes, another to try to fit into them. I myself am not a parent so I recognize that I do not understand.

Bear with me, I'm coming to the epiphany. I suddenly realise that despite what our minds tell us, what experiences that have molded us, will give way under the pressure of love for your own child. Things which we say we want to do, will give way when your child runs up to you and calls you daddy or when he/she smiles at you. (I must qualify that no parent will tolerate the kid's bad behaviour, I am not talking about those situations, but even then, the parent's love is usually enough to cover the wrong that was done and forgiveness after).

At that moment, I realised the greatness of the love that our Heavenly Father has for us. That while He loves us so tremendously, we have been rebellious children, doing so much wrong that hurts him, but the love of the Father is greater then all the wrongs put together. He tolerates because of love and in that perfect love, He sacrifices soemthing most dear, His Son. That we may be redeemed. What love is this? A love that covers a multitude of sins. Thank you Dad.

I look forward to the day when I can also be a loving father.

No comments: