Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My world shall be my petridish

A wise man is not one who has lived long, but one who has travelled far - Krygyz saying

Time really flies when you are having a good time! I've flown to Kyrgyzstan and come back! That is another "-tan" country to add to my list. So far, its been Tajikstan and Afghanistan. Looking forward to visit Uzbekistan next!

I particularly like the Krygyz saying and I tend to agree with what is said. Its easy to become myopic if we continue to live in our small world, we really need to venture out and see what the world has to offer. We are all prone to complain about our circumstances, but only if we knew how other people in the world are suffering. We complain about the high prices of petrol and how expensive a car cost, but in another part of the world, people are struggling to buy wood to warm their houses in winter! Puts things into perspective don't you think?

I am thankful for the opportunites that I am given to widen my horizons, to learn abotu other cultures, to converse with and to learn so many other things. I just heard that some schools today organize overseas trips to other countires, in particular Mongolia. I'm particularly pleased to hear that. Perhaps when our young learn about other cultures, they will learn to be more grateful for what they have and not take things for granted. Get your world view perpective broadened!

No comments: